Concerts & Events at Blowing Rock Art & History Museum
September 15 – (CLassical concert - Bach, Schumann, and Brahms.August 18 – (Opera to Broadway musical performers)Our concert series brings touring artists for intimate performances in the museum. Programs range from classical to old-time, traditional Appalachian to jazz - with something for all ages. Our concert series runs monthly from June to September, as well as special events.
2019 Traditional Music Events:
- April 6 - Through Their Eyes": traditional Cherokee storytelling and flute with Matthew Tooni | Youth Concert & Craft, 11:00 am - 12:00 pm and 2:00 pm - 2:45 pm (FREE)
- June 23 - Andrew "Finn the Fiddler" Magill- A musical journey from the Emerald Isle to the Blue Ridge Mountains, 4:00 pm (See prices below)
- July 28 - Tim McWilliams & William Ritter - An evening of old-time tunes, 4:00 pm (See prices below)
- August 11 - Wise and Otherwise: Appalachian Music and Watauga County Fretless Banjos, 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm. This talk will cover the history of the banjo through time, and the process of building a traditional fretless banjo. Due to the relative isolation of the Appalachian region, music became an important means of expression and entertainment. Largely descended from English and Scots-Irish folk traditions, with additional influences from other European immigrants, African-Americans, and Native Americans, the folk music of rural Appalachia provided the basis for bluegrass and country music. John Peterson is native of Boone, North Carolina and currently resides in Todd, North Carolina where he builds custom fretless banjos. John has a degree in Appalachian Studies from Appalachian State University. His life and academic pursuits have been steeped in the music and history of this region, he served as educational coordinator, Hickory Ridge Homestead 18th Century Living History Museum, in Boone and from 1994 to 1998 he was the director of educational services at the Appalachian Cultural Museum in Boone.
- August 18 – (Opera to Broadway musical performers), 4:00 pm (See prices below)
- September 15 – (Classical concert - Bach, Schumann, and Brahms), 4:00 pm (See prices below)